I recently had a friend ask for ideas for creative ways to get her 8-year-old son to eat more greens. I responded to the Facebook post with an idea and I hit send. Then another idea popped into my head and I hit send. Then another, and another, and I started to think, wow, I’m really on a roll here. I thought maybe there are some other mamas out there who are looking to get creative in the kitchen with their kids too, so here are some of our favorite ways to eat greens around here.
- Make it fun and get your kids involved – when they can play an active role in putting the food together, from picking the ingredients to mixing, ripping, and pushing the buttons on the blender or juicer, they’re much more likely to want to try what they’ve created!
- Green smoothies – I’ve talked about them a lot, but they are really such a great way to get the greens in and you can keep it really simple like one of Chloe’s first smoothies.
- Perhaps the most addictive snack in my arsenal these days – kale chips! They can be made with any greens, seasoned with whatever you like best, and they make a great snack on the go. I can eat a whole bunch of kale this way in no time!
- Collard wraps – this is a great one to get them involved in too. You can put out a few different spreads and a nice variety of fruits and veggies and let them pick what they want to include. Roll them like a burrito and you’ve got a delicious and nutritious meal!
- Blend some greens into pasta sauce or make pesto and you’ve got a happy kid chowing down on their greens.
Enjoy your greens!
Peace, Love, and Wellness,